Sunday, February 28, 2010

Streeter out to make WR rotation more crowded

Streeter out to make WR rotation more crowded - Shandel Richardson, Sun Sentinel

UM’s already overpopulated wide receiver position is expected to grow even more crowded.

The Hurricanes return everyone from last year, but have several fighting to crack the 4-5-man rotation. Travis Benjamin, Leonard Hankerson, Aldarius Johnson, LaRon Byrd and Thearon Collier were mainstays in 2009, but just who is the biggest threat to shake things up this year?

That honor goes to redshirt sophomore Tommy Streeter. After a slow start to his career, Streeter appears ready to make a leap.

“I feel like I can bring a lot to this offense,” Streeter said. “I feel that the coaches knows so and they’re going to put me in a position to do so.”

The 6-foot-5, 209-pound Streeter was a highly-rated member of the famed 2008 recruiting class, but is one of the few yet to make impact. He missed his freshman year because of a broken wrist. Streeter returned last season, but felt behind the others because he was still learning the offense.

He said things “began to pick up” late last season and feels his “mindset” is right.” He now says he’s able to identify defensive coverages at the line of scrimmage.

“I’m able to tell if it’s Cover Two before the snap,” Streeter said. “How [the cornerback] lines up gives a lot away. I just feel comfortable.”

Streeter also said he’s improved on blocking technique in the offseason. If all what he says is true, it has the makings of him becoming the Hurricanes top deep-ball threat. Last year he caught five passes for 114 yards, including a 47-yarder against Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl. The play was designed for Streeter because the coaching staff, mainly offensive coordinator Mark Whipple, realizes his big-play potential.

”I wasn’t surprised,” Streeter said of the play. “Coach Whip told me I was one of the better deep ball guys. Coach said he’ll give me the opportunity. Going into the bowl game, that play was designed for me. I had worked on it the whole week in practice, so I knew when that play was called, they were coming to me.”

It seems a lot more plays may be coming Streeter’s way this season.

A few thoughts:

–Unlike last year, UM coach Randy Shannon is taking it slow before naming a backup quarterback. After last spring, he selected Taylor Cook only to have the competition between Cook and Cannon Smith continue through fall. Both quarterbacks decided to transfer before the first game.

Shannon said he won’t choose between A.J. Highsmith, Spencer Whipple (now on football scholarship) and Stephen Morris until fall practices near an end.

–I wouldn’t make much of a big deal about redshirt freshman Shayon Green starting at middle linebacker. Remember, Kylan Robinson and Arthur Brown started last year’s spring game because of injuries to Darryl Sharpton and Colin McCarthy. Neither Robinson or Brown played significant minutes during the regular season.